The Top Canoe (and Kayak) Hoist Systems
If you have a canoe or kayak, you know how much of a pain it can be to find a good storage solution for it. Read on to find out what the best option is for storing your boat.
Making a DIY storage hoist is an option, but buying a turn-key system is way easier, and usually not much more expensive. These pre-made systems generally cost less than $50, and can hold just about any boat.
When searching for a kayak storage system, you want to look for durable construction, safety features, and an easily installed system. All of the hoists that we included in this list meet those requirements.
Here is our list:
Click the buttons above for detailed information about each unit, or read on for our review of each of the top 3 kayak/canoe hoists.
1. RAD Sportz Kayak Hoist
Our top choice for the best product in this review is the RAD Sportz Kayak Hoist . This storage solution came out on top of the competition for several reasons, including the great price point, convenient design and features, and the glowing customer reviews. If you have to choose one, this is the option we recommend.
One of the things that impressed us about this garage hoist is that it is very versatile. It can be used not only to store canoes and kayaks, but also ladders and bikes. In fact, it can lift just about anything under 125 pounds.
The Rad Sportz hoist is loaded with features that protect your boat. First, the lifting hooks are rubber coated, which will protect it from getting scratched up. Also, it has a safety feature that locks the rope if you accidentally let go. This save you from a potentially costly accident.
Another nice thing about this kayak lift is that it is easy to install, and works with most garages. It can be easily installed to a 2×4 or a ceiling joist. The Rad Sportz hoist works with ceilings as tall as 12 foot.
This garage storage solution is the best rated product out, with over 1,000 reviews, and almost all of them being positive. People who bought the Rad Sportz canoe lift said these things about it: “For the price, this kit is hard to beat”, and “Overall good product” Not only is the Rad Sportz Hoist the best option for storing a boat, it is also extremely affordable.
- ►RUBBER COATED HOOKS - Hooks are designed with a rubber coating to protect from scratches. Durable straps ensure that your kayak is secure and will not fail. We guarantee it.
- ►EASY TO INSTALL - Mount to your ceiling joist or rafter and so easy to use. With only the minimum of tools you can have your kayak hanging in your garage in no time.
- ►ROBUST ENGINEERING - allows you to lift heavy products, up to 125lb. Capacity. This is the kayak hoist that all the other are trying to copy. We don't cut corners. This is the original RAD kayak hoist you've heard about.
- ►INDOOR USE - For indoor ceilings up to 12 ft. high. Once the kayak is out of the way you free up so much floor space you won't know what to do with it all.
- ►SAFETY LOCKS - Safe locking mechanism prevents accidental release. No one wants to come home and find their kayak has fallen to the floor. The Rad Kayak Hoist is safe enough to park your car under.
2. Rage Powersports Storage Hoist
The 2nd best option in our roundup of boat hoists is the Rage Powersports Storage Hoist. While this lift is the most expensive product to make our list, the quality construction and overwhelming positive response from product testers influenced our decision to put this as number two.
The Rage Powersports hoist is strong enough to lift almost any canoe or kayak, with a maximum recommended weight of 100 pounds. The double pulley system on this hoist makes lifting your boat into the air a breeze.
One of the highest quality options on the market, this hoist is very durable. It is constructed with only the best materials, including heavy duty steel. This surely is a “buy it for life” product.
This kayak hoist should be compatible with most garages. It is designed to hang high enough to leave space for a vehicle to be parked underneath. The boat will usually hang 3 to 4 feet from the ceiling, so measure to make sure it will fit in your space.
The canoe hoist by Rage Powersports is another well rated product, with over 50 4 or 5 star reviews. Boating enthusiasts who used this hoist to store their boat said things such as “Perfect overhead garage storage”, “easy to set up”, and “quality is good”. Overall, the Rage Powersports storage hoist is an excellent kayak lift at a really reasonable price point.
- Store one kayak or bicycle from the celling of your garage with this storage hoist
- Includes two 6' lashing straps safely secure kayak or canoe and bicycle hoisting attachments
- Easy to use double pulley system with a 52' long 5/16" thick rope; 100 lb weight capacity
- Includes all mounting hardware and tie down cleat
- Durable, powder-coated steel construction
3. ProSource Storage Lift
The final item in our review of kayak and canoe hoists is the ProSource Storage Lift. wrapping up our list, this hoist is the most affordable, but also the worst rated to make this list.
The ProSource Lift is very similar to the other garage hoists, as it comes with safety features such as the rubber coated hooks, and the locking mechanism that prevents the boat from dropping. As well, it has a high enough weight capacity to store almost any item you need, with up to 125 pounds weight capacity.
This hoist should work in most garage spaces, with ceilings as high as 12 foot.
As mentioned above, this product is not rated as well as the others on this list. While most people had positive things to say, some had concerns about the quality. Others mentioned the bad instructions included. While not as good as the other options on this list, the low price makes up for the lower quality.
- Kayak/canoe storage lift designed for garages
- Sturdy rubber-coated hooks prevent scratching
- Strong and Durable straps keep canoe secure
- Safe locking mechanism prevents accidental release
- Easy to install and use; supports up to 125 pounds
Before pulling the trigger on a canoe hoist system, there are a few things to consider. First, you should evaluate all other storage solutions for your boat. There are racks, hooks, and other options that may be cheaper and fit your needs better. Second, the space that the boat will be stored in should be measured to make sure the hoist is compatible. The hoists on our list work with ceilings that are 12′ or lower. If your roof is higher than this, you may need to look for another option or make a modification. Also, the kayak/canoe usually hands a few feet below the ceiling, so make sure that it is high enough to park a car under it if that is your goal.
How To Make A Kayak Hoist
Incase you do not have the money to spend on a turn-key kayak hoist system, one can be made without too much trouble. All that is needed is two pulleys, rope, and hardware.
Here is a YouTube video showing a home made kayak hoist:
There are many other options for storing your boat, as well as other products for garage storage. Be sure to check out our other reviews for the best options.