5 Best RV Tow Bars Reviewed for Your Peace of Mind
Whether you live in an RV or you just like to take long trips while enjoying the comfort of a motorhome, there may come a time when you want to add your car to the mix. As such, the best way to solve this problem is to add the car behind the RV by using a towing system that’s both safe and easy to mount.
Now, you may wonder why we’re talking about the best RV tow bars – shouldn’t any tow bar do the trick? Well, if you want a system that’s durable, easy to operate, and safe, then you must find a product that was engineered for this scenario.
In the reviews below you’ll notice that producers put a lot of thought into creating models that can be operated by one person without spending too much time and effort on mounting and unmounting. Also, all the products we selected are safe and durable, so your investment is going to last.
Blue Ox’s BX7365 model is lightweight (35 lbs) and compact but it has tremendous potential since it has a capacity of 6,500 lbs and can be folded away when not in use. As such, you can use it to tow large vehicles and SUVs, but it will be just as effective with vans and small trucks.
The device can be mounted and stored on the back of the RV, and it doesn’t add too much extra weight tot he RV. Moreover, it’s rather easy to mount due to the quick disconnect hookup pins and easy-release locking handles.
Now, if you’ve ever had to work with an RV tow bar (or any tow bar for that matter), you know they tend to break apart in time. This is where the BX7365 shines since it is made from industrial grade stainless steel reinforced with a durable metal alloy and is equipped with off-set triple lugs to better align towing forces.
Lastly, the bar comes with rubber boots that protect the metal from the elements and debris from the road and 10,000 lbs safety cables.
- an easy, fold-away tow bar with a capacity of 6,500 lbs, Weighs only 35 lbs
- Mounts and stores on back of RV Self-aligning, with quick disconnect hookup pins
- Easy release locking handles for quick disconnect
- Dependable steel construction Off-set triple lugs to better align towing forces
- Rubber boots to protect from road grime Includes 10,000 lb. safety cables
Demco is a well-known and reliable producer and their Dominator series is one of the best on the market. Products like the 9511008 model are strong and capable while maintaining a low profile and light body (30 lbs).
This tow bar has a capacity of 7,500 lbs and features independent arms for an easy hook-up. It also comes with an easy trigger release, so the unhooking is just as uneventful. This makes the entire process easier and accessible to anyone.
As an added security element, the tow bar comes with safety cables that make sure everything stays in place and is well-aligned.
- Weighs only 30 lbs.
- Towing Capacity: 7,500 lbs.
- Independent arms for easy hook-up
- Easy trigger release makes unhooking the tow bar safe and easy
- Coiled safety cables included
For those of you who don’t want to spend a fortune on a tow bar, the Hiltex 20046 model can be a great option. It fits on 2-inch receivers with a mounting ball and has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. Overall, it is easy to mount on most vehicles with a bumper or mounting area between 24-inches and 41-inches wide (this includes SUVs, sedans, trucks, jeeps, vans, and so on).
To increase the overall resistance and durability, the towing bar is made from hardened steel that’s been heat-treated. The product also comes with two adjustable 30-inch safety chains for extra safety. Lastly, the bar can be folded up when you’re not using it, and it doesn’t take much space when not mounted (it’s easy to store).
- Two inch fitting ball will tow vehicles that have the proper mount as long as the towing vehicle is heavier than vehicle being towed
- Fits most bumpers and mounting area ranges from 24" to 41" wide; works with sedans, jeeps, trucks, vans, SUVs, etc.
- Hardened, heat treated steel towing bar pulls weights up to 5000 pounds
- Tow bar includes two adjustable 30” safety chains for safety and legal compliance
- Bar can be folded up when not in use and stored easily in a garage or truck bed
The Roadmaster 576 weighs 35 lbs, has a towing capacity of 8,000 lbs, and can be mounted on any vehicle with a 2” receiver. It also has quick connect and disconnect systems which makes it easy for one person to do the job in a matter of minutes.
To mount it, you simply need to maneuver the telescoping arms into position (each can be adjusted independently) and pin them in place. As you move the RV, the arms will lock in place and center without any further assistance.
Due to the stainless steel inner arms and special design, this tow bar can be used on all terrains and in all weather conditions (even freezing temperatures). Furthermore, to increase the level of safety, it comes with cables and a 6-wire power cord.
- 8,000 pound weight capacity motorhome mounted tow bar using a 2" receiver
- One-person quick connect and disconnect - thanks to an exclusive, self-supporting quick-disconnect system, one person can easily connect or disconnect the Sterling All-Terrain in seconds
- Telescoping, independently-adjustable inner arms are easy to maneuver into position. Simply pin them in place and then drive your motorhome away and the arms automatically center and lock in place
- Solid stainless steel inner arms for smooth, trouble-free operation and easy maintenance
- Weighs 35 pounds and includes safety cables and a 6-wire power cord with one wire plug and one 7-wire plug
The Ready Brute Elite is a bit different than the other tow bars we reviewed. It features an aluminum build, to keep the entire system lightweight, and comes with a patented brake system (Ready Brake) that activates the towed vehicle’s brake.
This way, you reduce the stopping distance by 10 to 30% and preserve the brake life of your RV. Moreover, you don’t need to make any alterations to the braking system and the mounting and unhooking of the system is easy to do.
- The Ready Brute Elite by NSA RV Products, Ready Brake directly activates the towed vehicle's brake pedal-never touching the hydraulic system. Clevis Connectors sold separately
- The Ready Brute Elite is a multi-purpose aluminum tow bar that has this patented Ready Brake supplemental brake system integrated into the head of it
- The Elite tow bar has the same great features of the Ready Brute with the extra features of the Ready Brake
- Increase your RV's brake life by using your car's own brakes, Uses 80 percent of your car's own braking power to reduce stopping distance by 10 - 30 percent, No need to make hydraulic modifications to the tow car's brakes
Do I Need An RV Tow Bar?
Given that this can be a sizeable investment, it’s only natural to ask yourself this question. But the answer is pretty straightforward: if you’re driving an RV and you want to add a car to the trip, then you definitely need a tow bard that’s durable and strong enough to support the load.
Now, it’s important to understand that each scenario is different and you need to adapt your search for the best product to your needs. As such, you need to consider the RV’s hookup system, the weight of the vehicle, and the type of terrain you’ll be crossing.
You should also keep in mind that RVs are heavy and bulky, which means you’ll need a system that can withstand the force of the pull they develop. Moreover, you’ll need a system that doesn’t add to the overall weight of either vehicle and is easy to store when not in use.
As such, it’s not advised to use a regular tow bar since there are not designed to support the same forces.
RV Tow Bar Installation
Since each product comes with specific instructions, it’s difficult to make a step-by-step guide on how to attach the bar to the RV and vehicle. Still, to make an idea of how things work, below is a video of the Ready Brute Elite tow bar being installed:
Best RV Tow Bars Buying Guide
In this buying guide we’ll go over some of the features that can make a difference when selecting the right RV tow bar for your specific needs. So, before you decide on a product, make sure to go over the points below:
Hooking & Unhooking
If you will be traveling alone or with people who can’t lift heavy weights, it’s best to find a system that’s easy to install and take off. This depends on how portable the bar is (overall weight) and the number of hooking points.
If you take a look at our reviews, you’ll see that the products we selected are around 35lbs (which is impressive compared to their towing capacity) and have easy hookup systems that can be used by one person.
Also, keep in mind that you’ll need different products for a 4-wheel drive and an all-wheel drive, so make sure the bar you purchase is compatible with the type of RV you’re driving.
You’ll notice that many models come with safety cables, and the most advanced ones also have wires. These are additional security elements that kick in if the tow bar gets unhooked or one of the pins gets detached. More importantly, in some countries (the USA for instance), these elements are mandatory, so make sure to check with the authorities regarding towing safety measures.
Another way to make sure the towing bar won’t become unhooked while you’re on the road is to buy a product with strong hooks. Also, if given the opportunity, always go for the product with most hooks – this way, if one of them becomes undone during the ride, the rest will hold in place.
Towing Weight Capacity
As you can notice from our reviews, each bar has a specific towing weight capacity. This number must match the total weight of the vehicle you want to tow (the car can’t be heavier than the specified capacity of the bar). As such, if you’re planning on towing a small passenger vehicle, you will need a bar with lower capacity but SUVs, trucks, and vans require a heavy-duty bar.
While it’s easy to overlook the need for an RV tow bar, if you want to transport your car safely, it is a mandatory addition to your travel kit.
The RV towbar is just like a bike rack – it has a specific use and it makes sure the items being transported reach the destination in good shape. After all, you wouldn’t just strap your bikes to the car and hope for the best, right?
The products we selected for the reviews are among the best on the market and implement all the necessary safety features to keep both your RV and vehicle in perfect condition. So make sure to browse them first!