Best Trailer Hitch Locks: Keep Your Belongings Safe
- Best Trailer Hitch Locks: Keep Your Belongings Safe
Trailers are amazing for camping and long trips across the country, but they do have one major inconvenience: without the proper security, anyone can tow them away when you’re not paying attention.
The worst nightmare of an RV or trailer owner is to have it stolen when they were not paying attention or while in storage for the winter. Luckily, due to the best trailer hitch locks available on the market, you don’t have to worry that your camper is going to be missing!
We reviewed some of the best products and below you can read our conclusions and thoughts on the matter. You’ll also find a buying guide and some useful tips and tricks that will provide the right help and guidance for anyone interested to learn more about these products.
Master Lock is a renowned brand, with reliable and durable products, so it makes sense that our first choice is one of their hitch locks. The 389DAT is versatile as it fits 1-7/8″, 2″, and 2-5/16″ trailer couplers.
It’s also solid and corrosion-resistant, which means you’ll get to use it for years to come. The bright red finish is thought to deter thieves from even trying to mess up with your trailer, and the locking mechanism is designed to resist prying and picking. In fact, you’ll need two keys to open and close this system, and each lock is unique to the unit (you can’t use the same key on the lockers).
Finally, the entire system is designed to resist heavy conditions, so you shouldn’t worry that a determined thief can just beat it off the trailer’s coupler. This is a unit designed to resist anything man and nature can throw at it!
- Universal coupler lock fits virtually all 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16" trailer couplers.
- Bright red finish discourages thief's from messing with your trailer.
- Resists rust and corrosion. Simple installation and removal.
- Advanced locking mechanism resists picking and prying.
- We can NOT key two (2) of these locks the same. The similar 379KA coupler locks are available keyed alike. The only difference between this one (389DAT) and the 379KA is the color.
This device comes as a lockable hitch pin that fits most standard receivers. Furthermore, it is easy to use and install, due to the automatic lock-and-release system. This means that you don’t need a key to lock the system in place; you only need it when you want to unlock it.
The entire unit was developed with durability in mind, so besides the locking mechanism, there are very few movable parts. This reduces the risk of things breaking if the hitch lock is used frequently. Moreover, the rubber cap and sleeve keeps the elements and dirt at bay, protecting the locking mechanism.
The Connor 1613520 hitch lock comes with two pins of different sizes, so you can tow up to 3,500 GTW with the small pin and up to 20,000 GTW with the long one. Both pins are made from heavy-duty solid steel for superior strength and feature a durable black nickel finish for increased durability to the elements and corrosion-resistance.
- SAVE TIME, AVOID FUMBLING WITH KEYS, BE SAFE Remove the key right after unlocking to avoid all the key fumbling and hassle! Push-to-lock technology ensures a secure fit everytime - PLEASE PUSH ALL THE WAY IN TO HEAR CLICK AND ENSURE IT'S FULLY LOCKED
- FITS MOST COMMON HITCH SETUPS Fits ALL Class I/II 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" & Class III/IV/V 2" x 2" and 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" receivers (1/2" & 5/8" pin)
- EASE OF MIND Tow up to 3,500 GTW for small pin or 20,000 GTW for long pin without any worries! Small Pin: 2-7/8" usable length, Long Pin: 3-1/2" usable length
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH Engineered to increase durability and strength- Includes 2 keys and an all-weather rubber key slot cap
- CONSTRUCTED FROM HEAVY DUTY SOLID STEEL FOR SUPERIOR STRENGTH Durable Black Nickel Finish - For replacement keys please visit our website or contact us on Amazon
3. CURT 23518
The Curt 23518 hitch lock is somewhat similar in design with the previous model, but it only fits a 2-inch receiver (the pin measures ⅝-inch diameter).
For increased safety and convenience, the system is equipped with two keys (one to be used as a spare). Also, the entire mechanism is made from corrosion-resistant high-strength steel protected by a durable powder coat finish. Everything is easy to mount and remove, as this pin uses a simple 1/4-turn lock activation for convenient locking and unlocking.
Lastly, to protect the inner mechanism from water and humidity, the pin is equipped with a watertight dust cap. Overall, the Curt 23518 is a good product to protect your trailer from being towed away by an opportunistic thief. However, you need to be careful where you put it when not in use, as its small size makes it easy to misplace.
- DEPENDABLE SECURITY. To protect your trailer and trailer hitch ball mount from theft, this locking hitch pin is made with high-strength steel construction.
- EASY TO OPERATE. The barbell-style locking hitch pin promotes an impenetrable appearance to deter theft, and uses a simple 1/4-turn lock activation for convenient locking and unlocking as needed.
- VERSATILE. With a 5/8-inch diameter pin and 2.85 inches of usable pin length, this receiver hitch lock fits virtually any 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver with a 5/8-inch hole (not compatible with double-walled receiver tubes).
- WATERTIGHT. The internal components of this hitch lock can easily be protected from the elements with the included watertight dust cap, while the entire hitch lock is shielded against corrosion with a durable powder coat finish.
- TWO KEYS INCLUDED. For your convenience, two keys are included with this trailer hitch lock. You can keep the spare key in a discrete location for emergencies or give it to a friend for helpful access.Pin Diameter:0.625
This is the ideal product for trailer owners who can’t find the perfect locking system for their coupler. The Towpower 72783 fits any type of receiver and features a ratchet system with eleven locking positions.
The lock is designed to resist drilling, picking, or prying, and the bright yellow color is visible from a distance (to deter any opportunistic thieves looking for unlocked trailers). Moreover, the mechanism is made from a combination of aluminum and heavy-duty steel, which means it will also resist any hammering attempts.
To make it easy to use, the Resse Towpower comes with a spare key. So, should you lose one, you always have an alternative.
- DIMENSIONS: 9” x 9” x 3”
- BUILT TO LAST: The REESE Towpower Universal Coupler lock is a premium lock constructed with an aluminum body and heavy-duty steel lock bar.
- UNIVERSAL FIT: Ratchet design is adjustable with 11 locking positions and fits 1-⅞”, 2”, and 2-5/16” couplers.
- DETERS THEFT: Bright, deterrent yellow color is durable, highly visible, and an essential accessory to all types of trailers.
- SECURE PROTECTION: Easy-to-install lock resists picking, prying and drill outs. Guards against truck or trailer towaway theft in storage.
The UMAX 100 Premium Universal RV coupler hitch lock is a product that can be used on most coupler types (hence the universal in the title). It’s also durable (made from solid hardened steel), which makes it a worthy investment if you want a system that will protect your trailer for years to come.
The good news is that the locking mechanism is difficult to break. The UMAX 100 uses a dual ratchet lock system and provides 360 degrees of protection. Furthermore, this is a type A key, which is spring-loaded and uses a 7 pin high-security system that can resist even drill outs attempts.
Now, should the thief want to hammer the protection off, the ballistic-grade nylon housing is specially designed to absorb most of the shock and repel any attempts to force it off the coupler.
Lastly, the keyhole cover is sliding up and keeps dirt and grime from blocking the mechanism. After all, you don’t want this protection to remain stuck on your trailer!
- One size fits most coupler types
- Dual ratchet lock System
- Exclusive design provides 360 degrees of hardened steel protection
- Key hole cover keeps out dirt
- Attractive Ballistic grade Nylon housing
How Does a Trailer Hitch Lock Work?
There have been plenty of RV theft cases and, if you’ve been through such an unpleasant experience, you know it can be rather difficult to recover your stolen goods. So, the best way to have a pleasant trip and enjoy your trailer is to be cautious and use preventive methods.
The main purpose of a hitch lock is to protect the trailer from being towed away while you’re not looking or while in storage. This system attaches to the trailer’s receiver and blocks any attempts of coupling it with a towing vehicle (including yours). The only way to get it on the road again is to use the key and remove the lock from the receiver.
Now, some trailer owners may not be too happy about investing in a high-quality locking system, and they may be looking for free options (like removing a wheel while in storage). While these methods may work, if you want a system that’s easy to install and remove and versatile, you can’t do better than a special lock!
The good news is that many of these systems are designed to be used with a wide array of couplers, which lets you use them whenever you need them (such as when transporting a boat or a snowmobile).
Lastly, as you can see from our reviews, these products are reasonably priced; even the ones that employ extra safety measures are quite affordable.
Types of Trailer Hitch Locks
A good locking system will work on a wide array of receivers, whether you’re using a fifth-wheel hitch or a simple one. However, there are two main types of locking systems to consider, and you should know which one responds to your needs the best.
Coupler Hitch Lock
Featuring a U-shape, this lock fits over the coupler on the tongue of the vehicle, which makes it impossible to connect the trailer with a towing system. In general, this system fits in the same place the towing truck would be, so it blocks all access.
These are more reliable and durable than the other type, but also a bit more expensive.
Receiver Style Lock
The receiver-style lock design is quite common, especially with low-cost products. It is shaped like a pin, curved at one end and with a key-operated locking mechanism at the other. The system fits in the holes designed for the receiver and hinders any attempts to add a towing vehicle without removing it.
Still, because these systems are quite small in size, they are easy to misplace and lose. Also, they are not as durable as the other type.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Trailer Hitch Locks
Whether you’re choosing a weight distribution hitch or the mechanism you need to lock it, there are several aspects you need to consider.
In the case of a locking mechanism, we focused on selecting products that feature a durable build, versatility, ease of use, advanced security, and weatherproofing options.
Let’s have a quick look at each of these features and learn how they can influence the overall quality of the product.
Durable Build (Materials & Construction)
The best option when it comes to materials is hardened steel or a combination of steel and high-grade aluminum. These materials are usually coated with a corrosion-resistant powder that makes them durable even if kept at the mercy of the elements.
Now, a lock also needs to resist some abuse from a very determined thief who can use brute force (aka hammers and/or drills) to gain access to your trailer’s hitch. While no lock can last forever when under attack, it’s important to get one that will resist until someone notices the noise and alerts the authorities.
A good hitch lock mechanism is designed to fit most receivers, regardless of size and coupling system. Moreover, you should be able to use it with all kinds of vehicles that need towing such as boats, bikes, and more.
So, before you let yourself charmed by a low price, make sure you get a product that can be used in a wide array of situations.
Ease of Use
The installation and removal of the lock should be as easy as possible. After all, you don’t want to spend minutes on just locking and unlocking your trailer’s hitch! Moreover, if the locking system is frustrating, there’s a good chance you won’t use it all the time, which diminishes its efficiency.
The most basic security option is a unique locking system for each unit. This means that two similar products cannot be opened and closed with the same key!
If you look at our reviews above, you’ll notice that most come with a spare key, but this doesn’t reduce the level of security as long as you make sure the second key is in a safe location or with a trustworthy person.
Some systems employ a more advanced system, where you need two different keys to open the lock. Of course, they are a bit more expensive, but the level of protection is increased.
Lastly, you want to make sure the system is protected against water damage (rust) and that mud and dust don’t get inside the lock. If the build of the lock is compromised, so is the safety of your trailer, so make sure to pay attention to this feature!
We know trailers are not that easy to steal, but it’s best to be safe than sorry. There are lots of cases when the thief was interested in what was on the trailer (a motorcycle, a lawnmower, or other valuable objects) but took the entire ensemble because it was easier.
So, if you want to sleep without worrying that your trailer may disappear by morning or that something may happen to it while in storage, it’s best to invest in a high-end trailer hitch lock.